Erectile problems are experienced by most men regardless of age. If the problem occurs occasionally, there is nothing to worry about. However, it is worse when erection problems start to occur more often. The reasons for erectile dysfunction may be various, however, in most cases it is our lifestyle and civilization factors, not biological, that are responsible for this uncomfortable ailment. Erection problems are sometimes accompanied by a general lack of appetite for sex, more often, however, despite the desire for sex, our manhood refuses to obey us. Find out the main causes of erection problems and how to effectively fight them!
Table of contents
- 1 What is an erection?
- 2 Erection problems – symptoms
- 3 Erectile dysfunction – its causes
- 4 Erectile dysfunction – treatment, research
- 5 How to improve penis stiffness, or simple methods for erection problems
What is an erection?
An erection is the ability to achieve and maintain penile rigidity necessary for sexual intercourse. Lack of an erection makes copulation impossible. To achieve an erection, the cooperation of the nervous system and the circulatory system is necessary.
The biological mechanism of erection is as follows: due to the occurrence of a sexual stimulus, the erectile center in the spinal cord is stimulated, then the arteries supplying blood to the corpora cavernosa and corpus spongiosum are diastolic, followed by an intensive inflow of blood to the penis. As a result of the dilation of the arteries and increased pressure in the corpora cavernosa, the blood is retained in the penis and does not flow away, which has the effect of keeping the penis rigid and hard for longer. The mediator in the process of erection is nitric oxide, and indirectly L-arginine.
Erection problems – symptoms
How do erection problems become apparent? Most often men note symptoms such as:
- difficulty getting into a state of sexual excitement and getting an erection,
- not getting an erection despite sexual excitement,
- inability to maintain an erection for a prolonged period of time (during intercourse the quality of erection decreases and the penis becomes partially or completely flaccid),
- inability to have an orgasm or weak orgasm and weak ejaculation,
- short erection of the penis, premature ejaculation,
- inability to achieve a full erection, so-called soft erection (penis during erection is not maximally hard and rigid),
- lack of interest in sex, decreased libido, very rare sexual activity.
Erectile dysfunction – its causes
Problems with maintaining an erection, as well as with getting one, is an affliction that can severely hurt. It is undoubtedly one of the most embarrassing, destroying self-confidence and driving men into complexes. Very often we are looking for quick and simple recipes for solving erection problems, such as the famous blue pills and similar strong measures, without even thinking about our own biology and without going into the background of our indisposition.
Meanwhile, it is worthwhile to learn a little about the causes of erectile dysfunction, because it is in their elimination that lies the recipe for effective and lasting cure. Remember that it’s not worth resorting to strong remedies a’la Viagra, because they are only a temporary help, only masking, not really solving the problem. Moreover, this type of pharmaceuticals for some men can be harmful. Their active ingredient, sildenafil, causes a number of side effects.
Lack of erection or erectile dysfunction can be the result of certain diseases, but it can also be caused by psychological and other factors. Here are the most common causes:
- exhaustion, overwork, lack of sleep,
- problems at work,
- past traumas, severe experiences,
- chronic stress, living with high nervous tension,
- sedentary lifestyle, lack of physical activity, lack of vitality,
- bad self-esteem, low self-esteem,
- lack of self-confidence,
- small penis complex,
- depressive and neurotic disorders,
- excessive nervousness during intercourse,
- focusing too much on the pleasure of the partner during sexual intercourse,
- fear of the possibility of impregnating the partner,
- bad sexual experience or lack of sexual experience,
- relationship difficulties (e.g. quarrels, lack of understanding with the partner, extinction of feelings, loss of sexual interest in the partner),
- overweight, obesity,
- certain diseases (e.g. diabetes, thyroid diseases, kidney and liver diseases, multiple sclerosis, cardiovascular diseases such as hypertension, arteriosclerosis, stroke, prostate diseases),
- hormonal fluctuations (e.g. testosterone levels too low),
- injuries to the genitals, pelvis or spine,
- use of certain drugs (e.g. hormonal drugs, high blood pressure drugs, psychotropic drugs),
- smoking, alcohol abuse, drug use.
Erectile dysfunction – treatment, research
Erectile dysfunction in most cases can be eliminated by making some changes in lifestyle and using herbal preparations to support male health. However, sometimes (when our ailments are associated with a more serious disorder, disease) it is advisable to carry out diagnostic tests. Then, depending on the type of problem, appropriate methods of treatment are selected.
Tests used in the diagnosis of erectile dysfunction
- physical examinations,
- blood pressure examination,
- hormone level tests,
- blood and urine laboratory tests,
- Doppler ultrasound (blood flow through the arteries of the penis is checked),
- consultations with a sexologist, psychologist.
Methods of treatment of erectile dysfunction
- treatment with testosterone (therapy used in the case of too low a level of testosterone in the body, which unfortunately carries many risks, such as: an increase in the number of red blood cells, vascular diseases, acne, prostate enlargement, breast enlargement),
- oral intake of phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors (PDE5i),
- treatment with vacuum devices,
- injections into the penile corpora cavernosa,
- shock wave therapy (LSWT),
- phytotherapy (application of plant preparations stimulating blood flow through penile blood vessels and regulating testosterone secretion).
How to improve penis stiffness, or simple methods for erection problems
If we do not suffer from any disease and do not require a doctor’s consultation, and erectile dysfunction in us is associated with poor physical or mental condition, overwork, poor diet, sedentary lifestyle, etc., we can try to help ourselves on our own. It is best to fight erectile dysfunction in many ways – take care of a better psychophysical form, use dietary supplements for men and natural aphrodisiacs, take care of repairing relations with your partner (if they are not the best). What exactly can we do for ourselves?
Read a review of a product for improving erection power and increasing penis size: Expansil Cream
4 effective methods for erectile dysfunction that you can easily put into practice
- Lose weight, take care of your physical condition. Disorders of the genitourinary system, including erectile dysfunction, are often one of the many negative effects of a sedentary lifestyle and being overweight. That is why it is worth taking up some physical activity as soon as possible, e.g. running, gym, team sports or other. Remember that the most important thing is to train regularly. Exercising oxygenates the whole body, increases immunity, improves the work of key organs, gains strength and vitality, increases testosterone levels. Systematic training will definitely appreciate our manhood!
- Switch to a healthy diet, limit stimulants. Natural food rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, omega 3 and omega 6 acids, helps maintain proper sexual function. It is an ally of high potency, good form, strength and stamina. Conversely, junk food and the nutritional deficiencies resulting from its consumption, is an ally of poor body condition, lack of vitality and low sexual capacity. What is more, through a poor diet and stimulants (alcohol, cigarettes) we lead to the accumulation of toxins in the body, which has a very negative impact on sexual performance and the strength of erections.
- Exercise your pelvic floor muscles (Kegel muscles). They are easy to locate when urinating, stopping the stream for a moment. The Kegel muscles are located where you feel the muscles tighten. Kegel muscle exercises involve squeezing them for a few seconds and then relaxing them. It is advisable to do them several times a week (or every day) for a dozen or so repetitions. Caution, always exercise your Kegel muscles with an empty bladder and do not do it while urinating.
- Take care of good rest, improve your mental condition. Above all, get plenty of sleep. Avoid overwork, reduce stress levels (read: How to deal with stress), try to regain internal balance. Gain self-confidence and regain your sense of masculinity!
- Use dietary supplements for men containing natural ingredients improving sexual performance and increasing erection power, such as: mace, maca root, fenugreek, ginseng, L-arginine.