Yerba mate (holly of Paraguay) is finding more and more enthusiasts in our country. We appreciate this unusual herb not only for its positive influence on the work of mind and mood, but also for its properties promoting weight loss. Is it really a good idea to drink yerba mate to lose weight? Is it possible to achieve the ideal body shape thanks to daily infusions of the plant?
Table of contents
What is yerba mate?
In a common meaning, the name yerba mate is an infusion made from dry leaves and twigs of holly, an evergreen tree cultivated in some South American countries (e.g. Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay). There, drinking yerba mate is very popular and even a part of tradition, just like in Poland drinking coffee or tea is a part of tradition. According to sources, drinking infusions and chewing mate leaves was a practice used by South American Indians (Guarani tribe). In the 17th century, the tradition of using these leaves was taken from the Indians and yerba mate was popularized as a substitute for tea and a method of stimulation and elimination of fatigue.
Yerba mate properties
This unique herb contains large deposits of substances with antioxidant properties, which have a beneficial effect on our entire body, inhibit the aging process and reduce the risk of cancer. Moreover, yerba mate:
- has a beneficial effect on our immunity;
- supports heart and circulatory system;
- reduces the level of bad cholesterol;
- improves digestion, has a beneficial effect on the stomach and intestines;
- accelerates elimination of toxins from the body;
- helps the liver;
- positively influences bones and teeth;
- has a positive effect on the skin, hair and nails.
However, the most significant advantage of yerba mate is considered to be its beneficial effect on mood, nervous system and psychophysical performance.
Drinking yerba mate is a great way to stimulate and reduce drowsiness, and is said to be better than coffee, which has a shorter duration of stimulation, carries a risk of blood pressure spikes and can lead to the body becoming too accustomed to caffeine. Mate is free of these disadvantages – it gives you energy for a longer time, doesn’t cause spikes in blood pressure and isn’t addictive. Yerba is also a great way to improve brain function and concentration. The herb is also a specialist in fighting fatigue, both physical and mental, as well as in reducing nervous tension and depressive states.
Yerba mate composition
Yerba mate shows many positive actions, as it is saturated with valuable substances, and these include:
- chlorogenic acid,
- B vitamins,
- vitamin C,
- vitamin E,
- vitamin A,
- phosphorus and calcium,
Yerba mate for weight loss
Many herbs and spices (e.g. ginger, turmeric or pepper cayenne) have been shown to support weight loss, many of them are also able to support metabolism after weight loss, ensuring that weight remains stable. yerba mate is not devoid of these advantages, however it should be remembered that drinking infusions of this herb alone is not enough to systematically record weight loss.
At the same time it is worth “slimming down” the menu and introducing physical activity into the schedule, at least 3 times a week. You can also look for a “weight loss assistant” in the form of a good fat burner. Only an extensive weight reduction plan will bring optimal results.
How yerba mate supports weight loss:
- After drinking an infusion of yerba, the feeling of satiety increases, we feel less cravings for food and can better control our calorie intake, reducing appetite.
- Yerba mate improves digestive processes, helps regulate sugar levels, reduces absorption of fats from food.
- Yerba mate stimulates metabolism, including lipid metabolism.
- Yerba mate promotes detoxification of the body.
- Because of its diuretic properties, yerba mate helps to remove excess water from the body. This is good news for those who have problems with body swelling, water cellulite and cyclical weight gain related to water retention in the body.
- Yerba mate boosts energy and increases resistance to fatigue, so it can help with your workout plan during weight loss.
- Yerba mate improves mood boosting motivation to lose weight.
How to brew yerba mate?
The properties of yerba make it the choice of more and more people interested in a healthy lifestyle. If we decide to check its bioactive effects, it is worth buying a traditional mate vessel, the matero. The infusion is prepared by pouring about 4 spoons of dried beans into the vessel and pouring water at the temperature of 70-80 degrees Celsius. We brew for at least a few minutes. We drink the drink through a special tube (bombilla), which is placed in the matero before pouring water over the yerba.
Once the leaves have been brewed they can be refilled with water. We can do this even several times, but remember not to exaggerate with the amount of yerba mate drunk daily, because in excess it can be harmful.
We also recommend:
- Weight loss diet
- Fat burners ranking