Yohimbine is one of the most popular fat burner which, apart from its advantages such as natural origin or effectiveness in shedding supraphysiological fat, also has a number of drawbacks, including health complications it may cause, especially over the course of long-term and intensive use. Is it worth the risk for a few extra pounds shed in a short period of time, or is it better to look around for another method to improve the fat reduction process? We take a look at the properties of yohimbine, check how to use it, what effects it has on weight loss and what side effects, how users evaluate it and what are the contraindications to its use.
Table of contents
- 1 Yohimbine – what is it?
- 2 Yohimbine – how does it work on our body?
- 3 Yohimbine and mood
- 4 Yohimbine and libido
- 5 Yohimbine and weight loss
- 6 Yohimbine – side effects
- 7 Yohimbine – dosage
- 8 Yohimbine – interactions
- 9 Yohimbine – opinions
- 10 Fat reduction with or without yohimbine? What to replace a risky substance with?
Yohimbine – what is it?
Yohimbine is an alkaloid found in the African medical tree johimba (Pausinystalia yohimbe), extracted from its leaves and bark. Yohimbine has long been used by Africans as an aphrodisiac and was popular in Europe in the early 20th century as a potency booster. Some time ago it also gained popularity as a slimming agent. However, due to numerous side effects, the sale of yohimbine is limited (officially the use of yohimbine in dietary supplements is prohibited, in legal sale it can be found only in some prescription drugs for potency).
Restrictions are restrictions, but as it turns out, dietary supplements with yohimbine are still distributed. They appear in some online shops, auction portals, classifieds services and other places on the web. Unfortunately, these are often unreliable and untested products. It is worth emphasizing that if we decide to buy and use such a product of unknown origin and doubtful composition, we take a big health risk. After all, we have no certainty whether the preparation actually contains pure yohimbine and how our body will react to this specification.
Yohimbine – how does it work on our body?
Yohimbine can be found mainly in dietary supplements helpful in fat reduction and body shaping as well as in agents improving sexual function. Most of the preparations use yohimbine in the form of yohimbine hydrochloride (yohimbine HCL), which is synthesized in chemical laboratories. Less common are natural extracts of yohimbe bark.
Yohimbine stimulates the sympathetic nervous system (the part of the nervous system responsible for mobilising the body and responding to various factors), which results in stimulation, increased energy and increased physical potential.
Its mechanism of action involves blocking α2-adrenergic receptors, which results in increased release of adrenaline and noradrenaline. With the increase in the level of these neurotransmitters also comes increased lipolysis, the process of breaking down triglycerides in adipose tissue into fatty acids and glycerol, which are then released into the blood, and then metabolized and used as a source of energy for tissues.
Because yohimbine contributes to a faster reduction of fat, including the most resistant, located for example in the lower abdomen and thighs, it is very popular among people trying to model a perfect figure. In supplements and fat burners, yohimbine is often found together with other stimulants and thermogenic substances, enhancing their effects.
According to some people who have had the opportunity to use yohimbine, the substance works in a similar way to such powerful stimulants as ephedrine, clenbuterol or sibutramine. These also stimulate the nervous system, are responsible for increased energy and physical performance and facilitate the shedding of excess fat. Unfortunately, both yohimbine and all of the above contribute to an increase in blood pressure, heart rhythm disorders and a number of other dangerous side effects, so you have to approach them with a lot of caution.
Yohimbine and mood
Due to its strong effect on the nervous system, yohimbine significantly affects our mood and mental functions. By increasing the production of adrenaline and noradrenaline, yohimbine causes a feeling of energy, strength and willingness toact. It increases mobilization, concentration, alertness and readiness to take on challenges. It has a positive effect on cognitive functions, improves memory, reduces psychophysical reaction time. At the same time yohimbine affects a slight increase in the production of another neurotransmitter, namely dopamine, which results in improved mood.
However, the effect of yohimbine on our mood is not always positive. A strong release of adrenaline and noradrenaline is often associated with the occurrence of unfavorable states such as: strong fear, anxiety, panic, irritability and aggressiveness, trouble sleeping, desire to escape, aggravation of phobias.
Yohimbine and libido
There are opinions, that yohimbine has aphrodisiac effect, increases sexual desire and sexual performance in men. You can read about the positive effects of this substance on libido in many professional publications. It is not without reason that this substance is used in medicines preventing impotence.
Yohimbine stimulates the erection center in the spinal cord and stimulates blood flow to the genitals. Thanks to this, it minimizes erectile dysfunction, increases the power and duration of erections and enhances semen ejaculation. Interestingly, yohimbine can also increase libido in women, which is probably related to such effects of yohimbine as increased sensitivity to touch stimuli and increased blood flow through the genitals.
It is worth noting, however, that not all yohimbine users notice that it has any effect on sex drive. For many people who do not struggle with decreased libido or erection problems, it remains an indifferent substance in terms of influence on the quality of sexual life.
Yohimbine and weight loss
Every person trying to get rid of excessive kilograms knows that fat tissue is an extremely persistent and difficult opponent. It’s not just a matter of time and effort, but it’s also a matter of time and effort. The most important thing to remember is that you can’t do anything to get rid of the remaining fat.
Such difficulties in the weight loss process can be avoided by turning to the right fat burners, and additionally by making modifications in the diet and improving workout plans. Yohimbine is one of the most popular substances that we reach for in troublesome situations of slowing down or stopping the fat reduction process.
The effects of yohimbine may indeed positively surprise us, because this substance, increasing the production of adrenaline and noradrenaline, at the same time contributes to speeding up metabolic processes and intensifying the release and burning of fat. Another important thing for slimmers is that yohimbine also has an effect on suppressing appetite, which results in lower calorie intake and faster weight loss.
It should be remembered, however, that in addition to these advantages, Yohimbine also has many disadvantages, which in turn are lacking in many other substances with strong slimming properties. So is Yohimbine really the best possible choice? There are different opinions on this subject. Many people who have taken it have encountered such negative side effects that they do not recommend it to anyone.
Yohimbine – side effects
Taking yohimbine, we must take into account the possibility of the appearance of many unpleasant side effects. The substance is risky for two reasons. Firstly, it has a strong influence on the central nervous system, causes unnatural jumps in blood pressure, excessive excitation and is a burden on the heart. Secondly, as a component of dietary supplements, it is illegal, so preparations containing it are unsafe, may not meet the appropriate standards, and we have no guarantee as to the actual composition and quality of the raw material, and we don’t know what its short and long term effects on our body may be.
What else is worth noting – there are many contraindications to the use of yohimbine. The substance should not be taken by people with blood pressure and circulation problems, thyroid, liver, stomach and duodenum, as well as people suffering from heart disease, glaucoma, respiratory diseases and mental disorders.
This extensive list shows that yohimbine is not completely safe and that you need to be careful with it, especially if you do not boast of 100% health and impeccable mental and physical condition.
However, it is worth noting that severe side effects are also encountered by people who enjoy good health. In fact, it is one of the most controversial and carrying the biggest risk of negative side effects substances among those that appear in dietary supplements helping in weight loss and body shaping.
The most common side effects occurring after yohimbine are:
- headaches and dizziness,
- nausea, vomiting,
- abdominal pain,
- muscle tremors,
- skin flushing,
- excessive sweating,
- increased blood pressure,
- chest pains,
- excessive agitation,
- sleep problems,
- disturbance of consciousness.
The higher the doses of yohimbine, the stronger the side effects and the greater the risk of deterioration of health. We must also be aware that an overdose of yohimbine can end in a heart attack or even death.
Yohimbine – dosage
An increase in energy and mobilization for action, increasing the breakdown of fat tissue, and on the other hand the whole spectrum of adverse side effects with spikes in blood pressure, heartbeat, hyperactivity and increased nervousness at the top. It is impossible to determine exactly what dose of yohimbine is safe, and what threatens the occurrence of distressing symptoms. Each body reacts to yohimbine in an individual way.
Yohimbine is most commonly used in doses of about 10 mg – 20 mg per day. However, initial doses should be smaller and about 5 mg. Yohimbine is taken on an empty stomach to avoid interactions with certain food components. It should be remembered that the dose of 20 mg of yohimbine per day must not be exceeded.
Yohimbine – interactions
Because of its strong nervous system stimulating effect, Yohimbine should definitely not be used together with strong simulants such as the already mentioned ephedrine, sibutramine or clenbuterol. You should also be careful when combining yohimbine with caffeine, which also has a stimulating effect and can increase the effect of yohimbine in the direction of increased blood pressure, increased heart rate, a feeling of daze or increased nervous tension.
Moreover, yohimbine may interact with alcohol and many medications, including analgesics, anti-allergic, sedatives, blood pressure lowering and antidepressants.
The combination of yohimbine with tyramine, which is present in many foods, such as yellow and blue cheese, meat, sausages, fish, pickles, sauerkraut, wine, chocolate, bananas, avocado, may alsoincrease the negative side effects (including severe headaches and dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea). It is also said not to combine yohimbine with foods rich in carbohydrates and fats, because they can block its effects.
Yohimbine – opinions
Among the substances that stimulate fat burning, yohimbine is one of the most widely commented. For the most part, these comments are not very favorable. Many people warn against taking yohimbine because of the strong, severe and cause great concern about your health side effects.
Many people have reported heart palpitations and a range of symptoms associated with increased blood pressure, significant mood deterioration, panic attacks, anxiety and many other negative symptoms. According to some, yohimbine caused such negative symptoms and feelings, including the fear of a heart attack, that they would never take it again.
However, despite so many negative reviews of yohimbine, there are also a few positive ones saying that it is an effective substance that can help you crack down on resistant fat, only that you have to be careful both when choosing a yohimbine supplement and when adjusting the dosage.
To sum up, the biggest advantage of yohimbine, according to people taking it, is that it intensifies the fat burning process. It is also a good way to reduce the most stubborn and resistant fat, for example, from the abdominal area. It is also a very good way to improve the intimate area by yohimbine. According to a large number of people, the substance effectively restores high libido and eliminates sexual dysfunctions such as problems with achieving and maintaining a full erection.
However, the biggest disadvantage of yohimbine is the fatal side effects that occur after taking it. For many people the negative effect on mood disqualifies yohimbine despite possible benefits such as accelerated fat loss or improved libido.
Is it worth to use yohimbine because of the risk of serious side effects? You certainly have to be careful with it. It has a different effect on everyone, on some people weaker, on others stronger. Some people talk about painful side effects already at low doses, other users noticed them only after increasing the amount of substance taken.
Yohimbine – opinions (sample comments from people who have used yohimbine):
- “After the first dose I thought I was going to pass out of this world. It was definitely too much for a beginner. Then I reduced the portions, but I still felt bad, so I let go of yohimba.”
- “An effective remedy, but for people with a strong heart and without any health problems.”
- “At first I was very satisfied, I lost 6 kg quickly and was on my way to building the perfect foundation for making a sculpture. But then my optimism and enthusiasm subsided. I started to feel bad, more and more often I felt heart palpitations, blood pressure jumps, and what’s worse, I wrecked my insulin balance. I don’t recommend it. There are better substances with similar effects.”
- “The agent is effective, but you have to be very careful with the dosage.”
- “For me yohimbine does not work. I did not notice any major weight loss, I lose weight exactly at the same rate as before, when I did not take it, that is, slowly. I should add that I work out regularly.”
- “You need to avoid wide bows low-quality yohimba, which on the market is almost plentiful. This really good is unfortunately on sale very little.”
- “To yohimbine was effective, you need to arrange your diet well, paying particular attention to the optimal carbohydrate intake plan. Otherwise we can only dream about instant fat reduction.”
- “Yohimbine is effective, but in order not to hurt yourself, you need to be meticulous about the right dosage, take breaks every so often, and of course be careful what you take at the same time. It can be dangerous to combine it with a large dose of caffeine, let alone with other, stronger substances.”
Check it out: Ranking of the Most Effective Fat Burners
Fat reduction with or without yohimbine? What to replace a risky substance with?
Whether you are very overweight or have leftover resistant fat to burn, but are unable to reduce it with diet and training alone, yohimbine can support you in achieving your body goals. On the other hand, it is not the only substance that can help us. There are a number of natural fat burners that are strong in action and have a high potential to help you lose weight without negative side effects.
Good results in fat reduction are also provided by supplements using a combination of two or more substances that enhance thermogenesis and lipolysis, two key processes in weight loss. Here are some of the most effective natural fat burners that can become ideal replacements for yohimbine. They can be used individually or in the form of multicomponent fat burner, which we currently have a large selection on the market.
- Synephrine – a substance derived from bitter orange, very often used in fat burners. It is characterised by both stimulating and thermogenic properties and its ability to accelerate metabolism and enhance the process of fat tissue decomposition. It also supports us in maintaining a proper diet, as it suppresses appetite. Its effects are compared to those of ephedrine, but what distinguishes it from ephedrine is the fact that it is safe to use. Synephrine taken regularly and in appropriate doses will accelerate the reduction of body mass, especially if we combine its supplementation with physical training.
- Berberine – one of the most highly rated substances with slimming properties. It’s natural, safe and shows a wide range of effects thanks to which we burn fat faster and more intensively. It is helpful both in the case of large overweight and the last 2-3 kilos to be reduced. Berberine acts in many ways: it suppresses the appetite, prevents eating too many calories, regulates the metabolism of carbohydrates and fats, stabilises the level of sugar in blood. It speeds up metabolism, increases energy expenditure, stimulates the breakdown of stored fat tissue. It works best, fastest and most intensively in combination with other substances accelerating fat burning (see Berber Fast).
- Oil MCT and BHB (beta-hydroxybutyrate) – these two substances occurring in a duo (e.g. in the fat burner Keto Light Plus) strongly stimulate the production of ketone bodies and intensify the process of using the accumulated fat tissue as a source of energy for the body. This mechanism allows us to lose weight with much greater intensity, especially if we remain physically active. MCT and BHB oils also have a few other important advantages for people losing weight: they suppress the appetite, support the work of muscles, improve training efficiency, increase resistance to fatigue, increase motivation and willingness to act, improve concentration.
Read our review of the best weight loss coffee on the market: Cappucino MCT